Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Soul of Atlanta: The Night Shadows, Little Phil, The Soul-jers …

The Soul of Atlanta: The Night Shadows, Little Phil, The Soul-jers …


Hi Greg,

Love your site and blog. Ricky Bear emailed me about the blog. Brought back lots of memories. I was never a musician, other than bass clarinet in high school & college, but I lived with John Ivey and met Ricky and Wayne Logiudice in the 60's. Most of my stories are probably better left untold... I didn't see any mention of The Night Shadows and/or Little Phil, course I'm sure I just scratched the surface of your web site. If you need info on the Night Shadows try this: http://www.hottrax.com/nightshadows/linernotes1.htm Call or email, if you choose. I'm a better talker than typist.

Bill Howell AKA "Schroeder"


Hi Greg,


Just a quick note to let you know that my husband, Tony Wilcher, with an I not an E, was bass player for the soul-jers, they were featured in the Atlanta Magazine, I believe, in 1967, we have a copy of the magazine, my husband will be contacting you shortly with more info and pictures. Ray Brannon is now in Brazil involved in missionary work and comes home to GA every year or so, we get emails from him. Chuck is still in GA. and still plays.
Keep on the lookout for more from my husband soon.


--
live, love, laugh, dream, life's
too short for anything less!

Denise (wife of an old soul-jer)


If you read this and you have memories of the Night Shadows, Little Phil or the Soul-Jers, leave us a comment by clicking on the comment tab below. If there are other 60s soulful bands and groups based in the Atlanta area that you want to discuss or remember, please do so. In the words of the late great Major Lance, “If you want to dance, this is your chance.”

6 comments:

rickbear said...

Ray Brannon, John Ivey, Gary Land and I shared a house together in the early '80s. I wondered where Ray wound up.
Hugh Jarret (Big Hugh Baby) was the original bass singer with the Jordanaires. They backed up Elvis on all of his early stuff. He was also a DJ at WLAC in Nashville until he moved to Atlanta and went to work for a radio station in Marietta. He started "Big Hugh Baby's Hoparooni" up on what was the US 41 Hwy in Marietta. I played there many times.
Pat Hughes was the manager of the Kommotions before Wayne went with C B Atkins (Sarah Vaughn's ex manager, ex husband). Pat produced the only recording of Wayne and the Kommotions at Lefevre's Studio in Atlanta in 1965. It was titled "The Little Black Egg with the Little White Speck". Barry, Emory, Harry H, Al S and I played on the session. I can't remember what label that it was on.
ciao

heybabydays said...

Rick,

Great info. When I talked with Wayne, he told me about the record " The Little Black Egg With The Little White Speck," but I was going to try to find it before putting the title on the blog. Now that it's out there, the price will probably quadruple. Wayne said he liked it better than "Ow ! Bugaloo." It's hard to imagine what it sounds like with such a title.

I'll probably give Wayne a call today or tomorrow and see if he has had a chance to look through the book. The book sort of jogs memories . Appreciate your responding with comments. It's the only way we will attract others with info and photos.

Regards,

Greg

heybabydays said...

Rick,

In my conversation with Wayne last night, he said he thought the session was in Memphis that produced "Little Black Egg."He said it must have been Atlanta since you seemed so sure... He thought that the engineer for the session was Chips Moman. That might explain why he thought Memphis because of Chips' Memphis studio. Plus, it was released on the Bell Label and it my information is correct, they murdered Wayne's name on the label, spells it Lackadashi or something like that. He did say that Pat Hughes brought the song to the Kommotions , no doubt having heard an early promo copy by the Nightshadows. ( that's a guess). He also mentioned that Larry Utah might have been involved in the session.

Regards,

Greg

Unknown said...

Will someone please ask Wayne if he could get in touch with me? I might be his half nephew. His father was George Gregory (Gregorio Loguidice). I would love to hear from Wayne just once more in my lifetime. I saw him when I was five years old. Thank you. Joe Leopardi. joeyleopardi@hotmail.com.

Unknown said...

My name is Crickett and I was a go go dancer and danced with alot of the Southern Garage Bands but I met most of the bands when they all played at the Comic Book Club.I checked southern garage band lists but did not find The Englishmen, The SoulJers or the Atlanta Vibration also further down the line does anyone know what ever happened to the Liberations?

Unknown said...

Heard Little Phil many times around Atlanta '64/'65.Misty Waters and other venues. He was a really talented R&B (Soul) singer!